Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

The Churdan Public Library was organized by three federated clubs in 1952.  Each club was represented on the original library board.  Board members were Helen Lohr, Edith M. Smith, Lucy Hall, Frieda Stephenson, and Marjorie Meyer.  The librarian was Lucille Dobney.  She continued as director for 35 years until her retirement in 1987.  The original library was located on the second floor of the old city hall.  In 1961 the city built a new library on the north side of Sand Street, where it is located today.  In 1979 the library built an addition to handle the increase in programming and expanding collection.  Shirley Hamilton was director from 1987-2005.

 

 

interested in more history. check out the Iowa Historical Society